Big Picture Science - Skeptic Check: They're Baack!
ENCORE Could you have had a past life? Is it possible that some part of you is the reincarnation of a person – or maybe an animal – that lived long ago?
We’ll hear the story of a young boy who started having nightmares about a plane crash. His parents thought he was the reincarnation of a downed, World War II fighter pilot. But his story might not fly.
Also … is there any biological basis for reincarnation? Animals that indulge in the big sleep.
Suspended animation is Hollywood’s favorite device for interstellar travel … But could we really put a dimmer switch on human metabolism? Learn how techniques for hitting the hold button for humans might be just around the corner.
- Cynthia Meyersburg – Research psychologist at Harvard University
- Tori Hoehler – Astrobiologist at the NASA Ames Research Center
- André Bormanis – Screenwriter, producer and former science consultant for “Star Trek”
- Matt Andrews – Biologist at the University of Minnesota, Duluth
- Phil Plait – Astronomer, and author of the Bad Astronomy blog at Discover Magazine
- Mark Roth – Biologist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle
This podcast first released June 27, 2011
You can listen to this and other episodes at http://radio.seti.org/, and be sure to check out Blog Picture Science, the companion blog to the radio show.