Big Picture Science - Home Invasions
As we struggle to control a viral invader that moves silently across the globe and into its victims, we are also besieged by other invasions. Murder hornets have descended upon the Pacific Northwest, threatening the region’s honeybees. In Africa, locust swarms darken the sky. In this episode, we draw on a
classic science fiction tale to examine the nature of invasions, and what prompts biology to go on the move.
- Peter Ksander – Associate professor at Reed College in the Department of Theater. Producer of the spring 2020 production of War of the Worlds
- Eva Licht – A senior at Reed College, and producer and director of War of the Worlds
- Chris Looney – Entomologist with the Washington State Department of Agriculture, where he manages its general entomology laboratory
- Nipun Basrur – Neurobiologist at The Rockefeller University
- Amy Maxmen – Reporter at the journal Nature, in which her story about pandemic war games appeared.
Download podcast at - http://bigpicturescience.org/episodes/home-invasions
You can listen to this and other episodes at http://bigpicturescience.org/, and be sure to check out Blog Picture Science, the companion blog to the radio show.