Big Picture Science - The Big Picture: Science’s Biggest Questions
How did life begin? What’s the universe made of, and what’s the nature of consciousness?
These are truly some of the biggest puzzlers in science, but answers are in the offing.
We consider the modern-day hunt for life beyond Earth, as well as a new theory of consciousness: could it be merely an illusion to entertain us and make our lives more worthwhile?
Also, after thousands of years of examining the heavens, are we finally learning the true nature of the cosmos?
- Marc Kaufman – Reporter for the Washington Post, and author of First Contact: Scientific Breakthroughs in the Hunt for Life Beyond Earth
- Carolyn Porco – Planetary scientist and leader of the Cassini Imaging Team
- Michael Russell – Research Scientist at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Nicholas Humphrey – Theoretical psychologist and author of Soul Dust: The Magic of Consciousness
- Saul Perlmutter – Physicist at the University of California, Berkeley and senior scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National laboratory
You can listen to this and other episodes at http://radio.seti.org/, and be sure to check out Are We A Blog?, the companion blog to the radio show.
NOTICE - Are We Alone is now Big Picture Science! You can find out more here: http://radio.seti.org/blog/2011/05/the-names-they-are-a-changin/