Big Picture Science - Skeptic Check: Energy Vortex
“I feel your vibe!” Well, that describes a number of fabled locales that claim to pulse with mysterious energy – perhaps prompting books to fly across the room or airplanes to vanish into thin air. But what’s the science behind it?
We examine spots marked with an X, for “extraordinary” – from a haunted house to the Bermuda Triangle – to sort out natural from supernatural phenomena.
Plus, what causes the aurora borealis… a haywire Russian space probe… and just what the heck is an “energy vortex,” anyway?
- Phil Plait – Skeptic and keeper of Discover Magazine’s blog: badastronomy
- Jim Underdown – Executive Director, Center for Inquiry, Los Angeles
- Peter Williams – Hydrodynamicist at Agilent Technologies
- Guy P. Harrison – Writer and business owner in Southern California, author of 50 Popular Beliefs That People Think Are True
- Rob Lillis – Space and Planetary Physicist, Space Sciences Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley
You can listen to this and other episodes at http://radio.seti.org/, and be sure to check out Are We A Blog?, the companion blog to the radio show.